Katelyn Crest of Alberta wins Seniors. Over 331 youth participated in the 2014 World Dairy Expo Youth Showmanship Contest Thursday, Oct. 2 evening in the Coliseum. This event features three age brackets for youth to measure their cattle exhibiting skills. First through tenth place in each division receive neck ribbons and medallions and cash awards. The first place junior division winner was awarded the W. Terry Howard Award, the intermediate winner received the Howard Voegeli Award and the first place senior showman was presented with the Keith King Award, and each received custom embroidered jackets from FirstFarm Dairy Cooperative.
Serving as judges for this year’s competition were Julie DeLavergne, Junior Division; John Johnsen, Intermediate Division; and Steve Frasier, Senior Division.
The Top 10 in each division are as follows:
Juniors, ages 9-12
1. Noah Bilz, Dorchester, Wis.
2. Ava Booth, Plymouth, Wis.
3. Clarissa Ulness, Valders, Wis.
4. Chandler Bening, Arlington, Minn.
5. Madison Calvert, Cuba City, Wis.
6. Jared Abraham, Plymouth, Wis.7. Trinity Miller, Westminister, Md.
8. Lauren McDonald, Hartland, Wis.
9. Matthew Gunst, Hartford, Wis.
10. Garrett Ulness, Valders, Wis.
Intermediate, ages 13-16
1. Kayla Umbel, Emmitsburg, Md.
2. Renee Pierick, Prairie Du Sac, Wis.
3. Jaynie Rule, Dodgeville, Wis.
4. Alli Walker, Wisconsin Dells, Wis.
5. Roseanne Crave, Waterloo, Wis.
6. Matthew Boop, Millmont, Pa.
7. Samantha Goodfield, Barre, Mass.
8. Shelby Ostrom, De Pere, Wis.
9. Mason Jauquet, Pulaski, Wis.
10. Mikhayla Luttropp, Berlin, Wis.
Seniors, ages 17-20
1. Katelyn Crest, Athabasca, Alberta
2. Jennifer Charlton, Brantford, Ontario
3. Elizabeth Sarbacker, Verona, Wis.
4. Sara Griswold, Black Earth, Wis.
5. Emily Franken, Teeswater, Ontario
6. Megan Opperman, Rockford, Ill.
7. James Jens, Newton, Wis.
8. Courtney Ray, Coryville, Ontario
9. Ava Doner, Courtice, Ontario
10. Darren Kamphius, Brandon, Wis.
Generous support from sponsors makes the Youth Showmanship Contest possible. In 2014, sponsors include: Andis Company, E-Zee Milking Equipment, LLC, FirstFarm Dairy Cooperative, Nutriad, Inc., Wisconsin State Farmer, Masters Choice Hybrids, MVE Chart, Double S Liquid Feed Services, Inc. and the Ayrshire Breeders Association.