The dairy processing sector plays a vital role in Canada’s economy, producing good, high-quality and nutritious products for Canadians across the country.
Today, the Member of Parliament for London North Centre, Peter Fragiskatos, announced on behalf of the Honorable Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food, an investment of over $2 million under the Dairy Processing Investment Fund for two dairy processors in St. Marys.
The investment of $1,933,060 for Saputo Dairy Products Canada G.P.) will help to expand their production area and add new cold storage capacity. The project consists of the purchase and installation of equipment in order to increase production capacity, while improving overall efficiency. It is expected that the project will allow Shepherd Gourmet Dairy Inc. to increase the use of Canadian milk and to create approximately eight new jobs.
For Stonetown Artisan Cheese Ltd., the investment of $149,238 will allow them to purchase and install new equipment to increase cutting, processing, storage and ageing capacity. This will allow them to expand their operations and broaden their product offerings. The project is expected to increase use of Canadian milk and result in the creation of two new full-time and two new part-time jobs.
“This investment will help these local businesses expand and create opportunities for growth and economic development in St. Marys. The government is pleased to work together with industry to ensure our Canadian dairy processors have the support needed to provide top-quality products, while creating well-paying jobs for Canadians.”
– Peter Fragiskatos, Member of Parliament for London North Centre
“Saputo is very pleased with this announcement. This grant provided under Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada’s Dairy Processing Investment Fund will go towards improved operational efficiency at our plant and assist in meeting future demand for our high quality specialty dairy products.”
– Sandy Vassiadis, Vice President, Communications and Corporate Responsibility, Saputo Inc.
“This program supports growth and protects jobs created by small businesses like ours. Stonetown Artisan Cheese is a family owned on-farm cheese processing plant, using whole milk from our own cows, located outside St. Marys ON. The increased productivity resulting from this funding will enable us to respond to the growing demand and meet our consumers expectations.”
– Hans Weber, Owner Stonetown Artisan Cheese
- In 2001, Shepherd Gourmet Dairy Inc. began operations as a dairy processing company in St. Marys, manufacturing high quality products including specialty cheeses and yogurts. On June 19, 2018, Shepherd Gourmet Dairy Inc. was purchased by Saputo, a leading cheese manufacturer and fluid milk and cream processor in Canada.
- Stonetown Artisan Cheese Ltd. is an on-farm artisanal cheesemaking company from St. Marys that has been in business since 2015.
- Canada has more than 478 dairy processors that generate $14.3 billion in sales and create over 42,000 jobs.
- The Dairy Processing Investment Fund, valued at $100 million, is designed to help dairy processors modernize their operations, improving productivity and competitiveness.
- Canada’s dairy sector is also supported by the associated Dairy Farm Investment Program. To date, 1,900 dairy projects have been approved for funding support valued at $129 million, in a wide array of projects from small investments in cow comfort equipment to large ones for automated milking systems.