Dairy Farmers of Canada Delegates have adopted a 10-year plan to develop and implement the proAction Initiative across the country.
This Initiative will encompass existing programs as well as new ones for the following six elements: milk quality, food safety, biosecurity, traceability, animal welfare and environment.
The details of each program and its implementation plan will be approved by the General Council.
Through proAction, Canadian dairy farmers collectively demonstrate responsible stewardship of their animals and the environment, sustainably producing high quality, safe and nutritious food for consumers.
proAction will be designed by farmers for farmers;
- Striving for continuous improvement, proAction will provide reasonable time periods to allow farmers to meet the programs’ targets
- proAction will be mandatory for all dairy farms in Canada;
- proAction will be transparent and recognized by regulators, stakeholders and society
- proAction will improve the sustainability of Canadian dairy farms;
- proAction will be cost-efficient, user-friendly and valuable to farmers;
- proAction will use existing expertise to minimize the number of required on-farm visits;
- proAction will have the same timelines for all dairy farms in Canada;
- proAction will have the same obligations and consequences for all dairy farms in Canada;
- proAction will use the existing CQM program framework and infrastructure to facilitate consistent administration;
- proAction will use credible and independent audits;
- proAction will partner with governments in the implementation of the programs;
- DFC and member organizations will provide the necessary resources to implement the programs.
Source: Dairy Farmers of Canada